The History Of Gallant Lady

Gallant Lady Beginning

Gallant Lady was built in Tacoma, WA. by the Riggs Bros Ship Yard in 1940. She was built as a group charter boat, even at the very beginning.


Being able to sleep 23 people Gallant Lady is the only 65' boat in the world that can do this...and all in comfort.

Her first Missions

One of the Riggs Brothers operated Gallant Lady until 1964. During the war years she provided cruises for men and women of the armed forces

Subsequent Owners

In 1964 Gallant Lady was purchased by Bill Garvin of Vashon Island. Bill operated her in charter until selling her  to another Vashon resident, Richard Gannon in 1985 who continued her charter operation, primarily in the San Juan Islands.

The next owner, Roger Stewart, purchased Gallant Lady in 1996. Roger and Patty operated her until Patty's death and Roger's health dificulties in about 2010

Current Owners

John and Mary Ann Hylton had been close friends with Roger and Patty Stewart and had been on Gallant Lady many times over the years prior to Patty's death.


John, a retired Alaska Airlines pilot, and Mary Ann, a former stewardess and mother of their 4 children, purchased her in November of 2013 and began a complete resotoration project.

The Restoration of Gallant Lady

The 4 year restoration included new planks, new fuel tanks, new water tanks, complete replumbing. New electical systems, 120 vt ac and 12 vt. The overhaul of the Caterpillar 1673 engine. Wood floor additions instead of plywood in some areas. Complete refastening of plank screws, many Ribs sistered. Even the keel was re fastened


And much, much more, culminating in the Charter Certification (COI) by the US Coast Guard in the spring of 2017

Gallant Lady Specs

Length Overall - 65'

Beam (width) - 16'

Draft - 6'

Weight - 57 tons

Hull -Close grained fir

Frames - Steam bent Oak

House - Teak

Interior - Mahoghany

Planks - 2 1/4" to 3 1/2"

Generator- Northern Lights 12kw